Sunday 7 October 2012

Is Gardening a Craft?

These are the very first tomatoes that I have ever grown.  I had lots of fun today, taking them out of my large pot and preparing them.  Some were ripening...
and some needed time to ripen so my fella hammered 4 nails in the shed and after I had prepared the vines (leaves, twigs and the littlest of toms went into the recycling bin), I hung them up.
I don't actually eat fresh tomatoes.  Sad but true.  I have never liked them but I do envisage a tomato pasta sauce which I'm sure I will enjoy.  My fella has been eating them straight off of the vine for a few weeks now and has said they are really sweet so I reckon that's a success!  I've deseeded one tom and will sow some more next year.  As to whether gardening is a craft or not.... mmmm.... I suppose there's lots of gardening crafts like wicker work but is gardening a craft?  Well, whether it is or not, I just had to share giggle.

I've finished 3 lace mittens now - in cream, purple and black and a part from feeling a bit dizzy working in the round, I am thoroughly pleased with the results. 

I've started another arm cover for an armchair for my sister but in a different crochet stitch i.e working across in clusters.
It's inspired by the cluster beach bag pattern I started (and will probably finish next year).  Details on how to make this arm cover will be in the next blog.

I've received Simply Knitting issue 99 and the Custard Cream scarf by Kyoko Nakayoshi looks fab so I'm planning to knit it in King Cole Smooth in the natural colour as opposed to the yarn they suggested.  I figured that if I bought the yarn it says to use it'll cost me £27 on line so I thought the alternative King Cole Smooth, although acrylic, is sooooooooooooooo smooth it's dreamy and should cost £12 in total.  The arm cover above, is in the King Cole Smooth and I can't get enough of it. 

I've also got a few ideas up my sleeve for a possible Christmas present - I know, I know, I know!  I promised never to make something for someone unless they asked.  I admit I am a hypocrite.  But I saw it and my brain went 'ping' I know who would 'love' that!  I'm talking in riddles - not to worry, I am sure all will be revealed after xmas.  In the meantime, I've also been looking at some cushions as I think they would be a good way of getting some colour into my life, get some pattern practice and improve on my knitting.  Brain already filling up with possibilities so until next time - get creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment